US Presidential Election



This post is outside of my schedule and is a bit of a mess. I wrote it when it was published having slept on the result and thought it through, read articles, and discussed others opinions. I wasn't sure how to write about this topic, but I knew that I wanted to share my perspective on something so important to the world, politics, and myself on my blog.



I am not an expert and I am not trying to be. I simply want to help to make a stand against some of the injustices which have been brought to the forefront of conversation recently. So here we go...



I woke up on the morning of the 9th knowing that today was the day that we would find out who America had voted as their new President. I knew that both candidates were bad, I knew which one was worse, and I thought that America would agree.

America did agree with me. In votes.

But sadly, the way the US election system works meant that this candidate lost. I'm not going to sit here and tell you that I understand how the whole system does work, but from the limited knowledge I have I can still not see the logic behind a system where the candidate with the most votes loses. It doesn't make sense to me.

I didn't want to believe the result. I knew this was possible but I had so much faith that this wouldn't happen. I don't understand how half of that country can have enough hate for minorities and the establishment that they would vote for someone who is against all that has been fought for throughout the world and history to make it a better place.

My 15 year old brother agrees with me about the election. We watched the BBC News declare the result in the morning before he turned the TV off, both agreeing that we did not want to hear another word about the new President of America.


I am saddened with the result. I think that is the best way to describe my feelings: saddened and empathy for those who do live in America. I would not want to be them, I know that much.

Something which I have absolutely hated about this election is the way that nothing has been positive, everything has been centred around lies, deceit and hatred. I don't want to live in a world where hate is the way we solve our problems, where fighting is how we resolve conflict, where to win we have to beat down others. I don't believe in that and I don't know why anyone would. Throughout the whole of my life growing up I have been taught that you can't resolve anything with a fight, that you should solve it with compromise and love. Was no one else taught this too?

Both candidates spend their campaigns fighting and arguing against each other, talking with such hatred for the other and their supporters. Despite the differences in policies and opinions campaigns should never be fought in this way and especially won in this way. We live in a modern world where we should have learnt by now that getting your own way should never be about fighting or hating other people.

Most shocking is the fact that from the US election and Brexit, we have shown the world that bad people can win who stand for bad things and go about it in a bad way. We have shown that populations are filled with enough hate to vote for lies, or hatred, or discrimination, or inequality, or against the establishment that our ancestors have fought for.


They should never be allowed to win. Letting the evil in the world show its face and remind us that this is what we fight to prevent is okay, but it should never be allowed to win or to take so much of the good we have built and reverse it. This makes me worried. Will others follow suit? Does this mean the world is getting worse and not better?

I don't talk about my views on lots of topics on my blog and I'm not sure why, but I am planning to change that. I think this post and my post about Brexit are definitely a step in the right direction. I am developing my opinions and beliefs and want to be able to share them with the world in an effort to increase education and to show that the world can be a better place for everyone to share.

Promoting good causes and beliefs feels like one of the only ways forward from this vote, so I feel obliged to start sharing my own views for the sake of America and the rest of the world. I believe in climate change, feminism, equality, human rights, and so much more that I really don't know what I haven't shared my views yet. But I am starting now.


Here's to fixing our world with love, not hate.

#lovetrumpshate


Related reading:




What are your feelings on this?

Images: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

Photo by rob walsh on Unsplash

Popular Posts