Rollercoaster | Poem


You are
So young
Curiosity rules your land
Safe naivety
Adventures ahead


You think
Maths equations
Tongue tied
English essays
Top grades

You try
Not enough
Never enough
Expectations
Higher than the sky

You hug
But you're
Never chosen
Never touched
Why's it never you

You struggle
Why aren't you normal
You yell
Who's in your head
Mind control

You hide
Ashamed, afraid
Will you be found
Will you be sought
Anxiety ready to leap

You run
Into protective arms
Danger is following close behind
Holding you
You're safe

You grin
It has just hit you
You're happy
For the first time
In too long

You manage
It's hard
Everyone knows that
Untold secrets
No one really knows

You smile
It's a high
Happy tears in your eyes
Hope in your heart
Joy on your face

You hold
His hands tight
Gentle
Sparks fly
The only one

You sleep
Peace at last
No feeling
Time halted
Tired even in dreams

You laugh
Dimples on your cheeks
Together again
A rollercoaster
A twilight, midnight party

You build
A castle for defending
A coffin for your body
A future from the now
A baby with that one

You fear
Death that awaits
No, not that
Pain
The most unbearable

You touch
A soul on the planet
A cloud in the sky
A star full of wishes
A mountaintop peak

You hate
Nothing and everything
Confusion fills you
Yourself
Or the forever unknown

You make
Real life from shooting stars
The night sky, a blank canvas
An artist through the telescope
A timeline drawn in pencil

You fall
Injured
Blackout
Torches
Glares of dawn

You cry
It hurts
This wasn't meant to happen
What is this pain
Ripping open your skin

You love
Full of emotions
This is new
This is the best
It feels like everything

You are
Mugs of tea left to go cold
Free and restricted
Glasses falling off the end of your nose
Tomato cheeks

You write
Pen to paper
Words flow
Unedited uncertainty
Raw and open

You stop

3:00 22.11.15

I absolutely loved writing this poem. I wrote it with the help of my best friend, who, once I'd figured out the structure, was on hand to give me new verbs for each verse. He was very curious to find out what I would come up with for each verse and I loved the simple format I managed to create to build this poem into an entire story of feelings that I have felt so far in my life. I could attempt to choose a favourite verse but I think I would be here forever because I simply feel inspired by almost every one of them and still can't quite believe this is my own handiwork.

I hope you enjoy this longer poem as much as I liked creating it. Any feedback is welcome in the comments below.

What kind of responses would you come up with the some of my verse starters?

Comments

Popular Posts