On the Go | Low Impact Swaps


Some of the first low impact steps I took were really simple and just became a habit so quickly. I am now so used to doing these things that I forget I never did them and that they are even things that other people might want to learn. This just shows how easy it is to get into the routine of doing some of the most eco-friendly things you can do and how simple it can be. 


Waterbottle


Carrying around a reusable water bottle, like the plastic and metal ones found all over the place these days, is the first thing I did in my low impact journey. It saves you money because you aren't buying plastic bottles of water from shops every time you need a drink and the water is free as you can ask any cafe, find a tap or fill up at home at no cost. It helps to reduce your waste because you aren't continuously buying and throwing out plastic water bottles and some will last you a lifetime (others will only last you a few years depending on the type).

Hot Drinks Cups


To be honest, I hardly ever buy takeaway drinks anyway, but this is a must for all those occasions that I do. I think that the first step should always be to slow down and think about whether you could actually sit in and drink your coffee or hot chocolate before automatically getting a takeaway. This means you can slow down your life and making you drink experience more relaxing. However, if this isn't an option I would definitely recommend a bamboo, metal or glass reusable cup for these occasions. 

Cutlery


Whenever you buy food out that doesn't come with real crockery or with real cutlery, you should try and remember to bring with you some cutlery from home, or a spork or bamboo travel cutlery. You don't have to invest in new reusable cutlery because you probably have something you can use at home and this should always be the first place to check so we can boycott consumerism and save money.

Straws


A similar idea applies to straws. Always try and refuse straws in drinks you get, no matter whether they say they are biodegradable or not (because you can never know if they'll end up in the right bin to be biodegraded). Another idea is to invest in a bamboo, metal or glass straw which you can then use at home and take out with you. They come with implements to be able to clean them out and look pretty good in photographs in your fancy coffee or smoothie. Unless you have a condition which means a straw is necessary for you and the reusable versions just can't cut it, then have a look at the rest of my tips.

Cloth Bags


I have always owned so so many cloth bags because I get them as presents, freebies or buy them because they're just lovely to look at. However, I never used to remember to take them out with me so I ended up with a plastic or paper bag when I went shopping. Now every time I go shopping or even just out, I remember to take a cloth bag with me so that I can put anything I buy in it and also be able to carry some of my zero waste essentials. Many countries now charge for you to use plastic bags from shops so it has become cheaper to bring along your own bag too.

Photo by Frannie Wilson on Unsplash

Comments

Popular Posts