It's A Lot | COVID-19 Pandemic


My generation, who are in their early twenties at the moment, have had their fair share of global crises. It is quite honestly, a lot to have to process.


We have had September 11 terrorist attacks, the invasion of Afghanistan, the Iraq war, oil spills, SARS respiratory disease, record high temperatures and extreme weather events including tsunamis, hurricanes and wildfires, an Ebola epidemic, the global recession, the climate crisis, Brexit, and now the coronavirus pandemic... You name it, we probably lived through it.


And yes, I know I was a kid when a lot of these things happened and I don't remember them all but the recent ones I do remember and I have learnt how they have affected the world and the people who do remember them.

What is happening because of coronavirus is such a new and scary experience for everyone at the moment. The effect on the world and reaction from different governments can't compare to anything that has happened in living memory with ease, especially in the developed world.

I don't like it. I am overwhelmed a lot of the time.

The UK is strongly advising self-isolation and social distancing which can feel incredibly lonely or restrictive, but we have got to follow these rules to stop the spread of this virus. The quicker we do things like this, the sooner life will be able to go back to normal.

But lots of things are giving me hope, like the positive community spirit that has emerged, how the health care providers around the world are working hard, and, honestly, the start of spring with the blossoms and sunshine. These are the things I am trying to focus on at the moment. Alongside trying to keep up with studying for my degree as much as I can until I hear more about the university's plans for the summer term.

I am taking the time to create healthy routines, make sure I get some sun and some exercise most days, keeping up with university work and relaxing a lot, mostly with books. I am trying to give myself a bit of a goal or purpose each day so that I can feel like I have accomplished something. It is also helping to motivate me to get out of bed.

Honestly, I just needed to do a bit of a brain dump about what's going through my head during the pandemic. I hope everyone is staying safe and well. And stay at home, I want to have summer not in self-isolation.

Comments

Popular Posts