2018 in Months


Summer Holidays - A road trip through some of Europe



We went on a road trip through Europe where we travelled through France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria, Lichtenstein, Switzerland and Italy, however, we did only stay in Germany, Austria, Italy and Luxembourg. We stayed in a ski resort area in the Alps, a house up the side of the mountain in the Dolomites, at the top of Lake Garda in Italy, in the castle region in the south of Germany and in Luxembourg city.

One thing we tried out new this year for our holiday was using AirBnB which we love now. It can show you your whole itinerary online and be shared with family members so everyone knows where they're going and what the dates are.

Wales


We went to visit my grandma and uncle in the south of Wales for about a week. We go there a couple of times a year, every year to walk and explore outside, and occasionally visit cities like Swansea and Cardiff.

Term One - Starting my first year of university


I joined the University of York to study a Psychology Undergraduate Degree and am in Derwent College which is also the accommodation I was placed in. I joined some societies and got involved with others including Baking Society, Yoga Society, Palestinian Solidarity Society and International Development Society. I have a flat with 21 people in and have made friends and very good friends with everyone I live with.


Freshers Week:

  • Welcome talk, karaoke, flat party
  • College orientation, official welcome, Revs vs Vanbrugh
  • Quiz, Mansion x Blackbox, Society
  • Global Community Meet up, Fire Safety Talk, Fibber vs James (Glitter) + Society
  • Psychology Welcome, the town with STYCs, Caberet D
  • Group supervision, Salvation + Society
  • Research Methods, Eden's Court Carnival, Night in 
  • Freshers Fair, Festival (RAYE, DJ Dev, Lost Tigers)
  • Comedy Night - Lee Nelson, Matt Richardson, Sophie Duker


Rest of Term 1:

  • Lots of PEEBs
  • Watching Bake Off every night as a flat including a drinking game
  • Baking Society: bread, pizza, Halloween food, Gibson's pizza + cocktails, jam tarts, Slug + Lettuce afternoon tea with cocktails
  • Went to Yoga Society a lot
  • MUN Social
  • Had a water leak on campus so everything was cancelled
  • PSS: Apartied Across Borders
  • Flat meals: Chicken nuggets and chips, black-tie meal
  • RAG Machu Picchu Meeting
  • Night at James College (society, flares)
  • Birthday Revs
  • Supervision Meeting
  • Vanbrugh (psychology) pres + Halloween D
  • Tonight Alive at Fibbers
  • Talking about houses for the second year
  • IDS: Surviving on the Margins with Maria Holt, Displacement in Iraq
  • Yoga Retreat Day: Vinyasa Yoga session
  • Christmas D
  • Flat Christmas: Proper Christmas dinner + Secret Santa
  • Peru fundraising: bake sale Vanbrugh stalls, psychology reception, Derwent reception, film night (elf and love actually)

Christmas Holidays - Back home for the festivities and to visit relatives


I spent a lot of time at home, just relaxing or trying to do a little bit of my revision and coursework. I went on a trip to Lincoln to visit my best friend for her birthday with some others of my friends for a night out and a couple of meals out. We celebrated Christmas Day with my grandparents are their home and then Boxing Day at our house with my grandparents and auntie's family. We went on holiday to Wales to visit my grandma and uncle and do some more walks, where we celebrated New Years.


Voted in the local council elections in May.
Saw gigs of The Marmozets, Black Peaks, Frank Turner and the Sleeping Souls, Askells, Homeless Gospel Choir, Blossoms, Touts, Fuzzy Sun
Working in the Norfolk and Norwich Festival office in the run-up.
Applying for my York University accommodation for next year.
Finished my job in the pub/restaurant.
Watched the NNF18 launch event with Transe Express which was amazing.
Went for a night out for my mates birthday and met up with some other friends.
Watched Pimp My Barrow unfold.


Been on 3 nights out with my friends who are here and some when they came back from university for the Easter holidays.
Textile takeover dress to protest exhibition of the Castle Museum about women's suffrage.
Had coffee when my mum, gran and great aunt.
Went to my brother's second dan grading in Shotokan karate which he passed.
Went to the speed meet interviews for volunteering with Norfolk and Norwich Festival 2018.
Saw gigs with The Wombats, The Night Cafe, Bloxx, Fickle Friends, Swimming Girls, The Islas, Everything Everything, Skindred, CKY, Danko Jones. I did these with lots of different friends.
Watched Hollie McNish and Deanna Rodger at the Norwich Arts Centre for Women of the World Festival 2018. They were completely brilliant.
Visited my gran in Wales over the Easter holidays.
Had a Chinese takeaway to celebrate my mum's birthday in April.
Went to training for Norfolk and Norwich Festival.
Started using a reusable coffee cup for my tea and hot chocolate when I'm out and about.
Began using Ecosia instead of Google.
Am beginning to think a lot more about being green and what I can do to do my bit to help the planet.

Photo by Nathan Dumlao on Unsplash


Cromer fireworks on new years day with fish and chips and mince pies.

Sixth form alumni event at the school with all my friends with wine and nibbles.

A night out before everyone returned to university.

Short yoga course for free with a lovely teacher and longer sessions - an interesting different style of yoga.

Watching Darkest Hour with my grandparents - it was an amazing performance.

Highly Suspect and Welles gig where I got to stand at the very front.

Breakfast with some friends before our Rainbows session.

Spring King gig with Fizzy Blood and Calva Louise and had fun with MB-P.

A night out with some friends when they came back from Nottingham Uni.

Watching Paddington 2 with mum and my brother - it was a hilarious family film.

Don Broco, Man with a Mission and Yonaka at the LCR with MB-P was kind of insane.

Visited Nottingham and York by train by myself from Friday to Monday to visit friends in Nottingham and a friend in York. Went to Rock City in Nottingham and completely loved my time in both places. I was introduced to a Netflix series Atypical which I now love and to Black Mirror Netflix series and Corpse Bride. I got a Chinese takeaway. I got my friends some presents for having me over. I received a copy of Ruby Tandoh's book Eat Up which is amazing.

We got snow on the 26th and it is still here as we enter March. I got to go and play in the snow, making snow angels.

I have been working in the pub-restaurant throughout January and February.

Applied to volunteer at the Norfolk and Norwich Festival 2018 in May.

Thinking about if I want to go to a music festival this year, for how long and which one.

I got myself online banking.

Have been thinking lots about university and have started collected up things I will need to take and have had a closer look at the accommodation that's available.

Photo by Eduardo Flores on Unsplash

Popular Posts