2016 in Months


GOING to the Christmas light switch on.
HAVING progress point 2.
BEING so freezing cold.
SEEING Clean Cut Kid, the Courteeners, the Fratellis, Johnny Lloyd, Walking on Cars.
SENT off my UCAS application for university eek.
READING back through all of Elin Loow's posts (can't wait until she finishes her book and course and gets her art shop live).
REVISING lots.
STARTING to get ready for Christmas.
PLAYING football at the park.

image


DISCOVERING amazing poets and artists.
WRITING a whole month worth of posts that I am proud to say I have written.
DOING progress points in school.
HEARING mum get excited about how she read through loads of my blog posts and was gushing over them.
FEELING cold all the time.
INTERVIEWING some famous scientists.
LOVING Core 4 and HATING Core 3 in maths.
SEEING bands the Hunna and Twin Atlantic and Sunset Sons (Jessarae + Airways) live.
BEING annoyed by all the rain.
MEETING Airways.
GETTING ill lots.
GOING to a Lincoln University Open Day.
DRINKING hot chocolate all the time (7 in 7 days, oops).
HAVING my family randomly plan a party for my eighteenth birthday in December.

TAKING part in the science festival in my city in the Young Communications Team on the 25, 26 and 28th October. I had a Journalism/ Blogging/ Social Media training session from Lewis (Culture Works East), David Powles (EDP/ Evening News), and E Gibling and a launch event on the 12th where we met all the kids and adults who would be involved in the team. I worked with people from the forum including Sarah Power, Jayne Evans, Kerry Leathey, and Connie Hodgkinson Lahiff. I collaborated with photographers Becky Moore and Sara Rae for my pieces. I met some famous people including Maddie Moate (science youtuber), Richard Fortey (even my mum knows him), Harriet Mead (artist), Mad Science, and Stephen Ashworth (Kitchen Chemistry). There was another team for radio and video run by Gary Standley and Wendy Witham from BBC Voices and one for photography run by Steve Hunt.

How has your October been?


EXPERIMENTING with my creativity.
APPLYING to be a part of the Science Festival's Young Communications Team.
RESTARTING school in my second year of A-Levels.
FINISHING my personal statement for university.
REVISING for more progress points (mini exams).
COMING up with a 5 long shortlist of universities: Surrey, Warwick, Lincoln, UEA, York
WRITING some blog posts which I am really proud of: Break Through Your Creative Restrictions and A Rant About the English Education System.
FINDING some amazing creatives and artists in my searching through the internet.
REALISING I actually have real A-Level exams at the end of this school year.
FREAKING out that I get to turn 18 in December.
SEEING Sundara Karma live.
FIGURING out where they sell my favourite hot chocolate: Cactus Cafe.
THINKING about Quiet by Susan Cain which I finished reading.
LISTENING to Elle King.
READING The Element by Ken Robinson.
WATCHING Strictly, which has started again yay.

How was your September?



I did quite a lot during July as it started to become properly sunny so I could very eventually get my short shorts and sunglasses out, phew. We went to the Lord Mayor's Celebrations in our city and watched the procession and fireworks. I am such a massive fan of fireworks, especially if they are done with music in the background.

We had an induction day at school for all the new kids who'll be starting in September so I had to start realising that I am about to go into my final year of A-levels and that is pretty scary to think about. Also in school, I finished my personal statement thankfully and I am really pleased with it. Hopefully, universities will be just as pleased as me and consider giving me a place.


Me and my dad went to Latitude for the whole weekend again this year and it was amazing. You can see the post about going last year here. We set up our tent on Friday afternoon and then wandered into the arena.

It was just as good as last year if not better. Some of my real highlights were CHVRCHES, Of Monsters and Men, Rat Boy, Lucius and so much more. We saw loads of bands, comedians and checked out the extra stuff in the other tents, like a Vintage Remix night in the Film and Music tent, and all of the other activities in the woods and for kids.

We had three bought meals while we were there of South Indian dosas and onion bhajis, Greek falafels with all the dips and hummus, and Spanish fish cakes with salad and potatoes in a sauce. We had pain au chocolat for breakfast and sandwiches with snacks for lunch.

Altogether I really really enjoyed my time and wish I could be whisked back there to enjoy it more.









This year we went to the south of France to visit during the summer which is so lucky for us. Travelling down we visited Dijon and then the Alps (because France is so big). Dijon was a lovely little place in the north of France and nice to stay in for one night.

The Alps were my brother's idea because he's wanted to go and see them for ages and hasn't been able to so eventually we went. As mountains they are massive, you wouldn't believe their size, it's really hard to get much perspective on it at all. We stayed in a lovely remote little village at about 1500m altitude without wifi so it was a lovely way to disconnect for a few nights. Even though it did make us realise how much we rely on the internet for finding out things, like the weather or type of animals and birds.

After all this, we eventually made it to the south of France to the village between Narbonne and Perpignan, both of which are some of my favourite cities to visit. We spent a lot of the time at the beach, river swimming, in the swimming pool and visiting cities and markets.

Girona, Spain
A new place we visited this year was Girona in Spain which I really enjoyed. It is a very old city with lots of history and some really artsy shops, galleries and cafes. It did rain after we'd had lunch in a lovely small restaurant which had gorgeous food (I had salad, stuffed peppers, and ice cream) but we tried to not let that spoil it and continue. We walked along their old city wall which gives you a great view of the whole city.

On the way home, we camped for a night in Bourges which was a really interesting place because it had a lot of history and old buildings but also really modern expensive shops. It did have a lovely light show at night where you follow the trail of blue lights through the old part of the city and past the cathedral.

The next night we camped in a place called Albert right in the very north of France which is the area of the Battle of the Somme in World War One. The day after we spent looking around at all the World War One memorials, museums and sites which was interesting as I never got to study it at school and I did really enjoy history.


We went on a second little holiday to south Wales once we'd got home and had a few days of rest. It rained a few times but was also sunny on a few days so we got to enjoy a couple of walks in the countryside.

How did everyone spend the summertime?


UEA Open Day
Warwick Open Day
Rain
Quiet by Susan Cain


SITTING my maths AS level exams (very scary).
SEEING a little bit more sun and nice weather.
WARM weather at last.
AND then some extra rain.
WEARING patterned trousers all the time.
SORTING out older blog posts and improving them (check out the improved style posts)
GOING to a gig at the smaller venue in the city.
READING Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold.
REVISING lots and lots (this is an understatement).
WATCHING more Glee and ER.
WORKING on my blog.
WATCHING The Adjustment Bureau and Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol.
LISTENING to podcasts - Ctl Alt Dlt, The Lively Show and more (post about those soon).
CELEBRATING a year with my boyfriend.

How has May been treating you all this year?



For sixth form, we are allowed to wear our own clothes but we have to keep our outfits pretty smart and appropriate, which has meant that this year short shorts at school aren't an option. This meant that me and my mum had to go on a hunt for patterned trousers.

My patterned trousers


I ended up buying a gorgeous pair in H&M which are really smart but also really suit me. They are the pair in the top left hand corner of the graphic.

While I was looking on the internet for other places to buy them I came across some really lovely pairs and thought I'd share them to give you some inspiration for patterned trousers: to stay cool and smart in the summer.

My favourites


My favourite ones out of these four pairs are the pair in the bottom left from Urban Outfitters, which are made of gingham. They look like a really cool vintage style shape and are shorter so would be better for the summer. I love the gingham pattern and the colour of them too.

Why patterned trousers are a summer essential


Keep you cool
Because of their styles, they work really well in warm weather when you don't want to wear shorts, skirt or a dress. They keep you cool so you won't overheat or end up sweaty (which nobody wants).

Shorter length
This goes with why they are great for summer because as they are a shorter length, they are an alternative to rolling up your jeans which can still look good but becomes a hassle in the heat of summer.

Baggier
They come in tight and baggy styles depending on what you want but I like some of the baggy pairs for summer and easily keeping cool (and avoiding getting sun burnt).

Colourful and/or patterned
I love the variety of patterns and colours that patterned trousers now come in, because they can suit every personal style.

Smart and casual
I chose to buy some for going to school in because I know they look pretty smart, but they work for just hanging out in too. Especially if you get a baggier pair, they can be great for lounging around and not doing much.

Different styles
Patterned trousers come in so many different shapes and styles so they can fit most people's personal styles really easily without standing out too much.

Where else would you recommend buying patterned trousers?



DOING mock as level exams.
LISTENING to lots of albums.
EATING warmed up apple crumble and ice cream.
HAVING a fun walking holiday in Wales.
WATCHING lots of episodes of Glee and The Goldbergs.
WORRYING when the mock exams don't go well.
REVISING for the real as level exams.
SEEING Nothing But Thieves (with Sundara Karma and Black Foxxes).
MISSING out on seeing PVRIS live because of being in Wales.
BEING annoyed at the rain.

image from snap wire



I haven't been reading anywhere near enough recently and a very big pile of books to read has gradually accumulated on my bookshelf. I really want to read a lot more and I hope that I do manage to start reading regularly again, but at the moment I'm finding it difficult to find time where I'm not already too tired to do anything at all.

I thought I'd share my list of unread books with you in the hopes that the huge list would inspire and encourage me to start and finish one of them. At the moment, I have just managed to finish reading "Me, Earl and the Dying Girl", but I only was able to do this because I went on holiday in the Easter holidays where I had time to read.

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak
The Amber Spyglass - Philip Pullman
The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold
Just In Case - Meg Rosof
Small Steps - Louis Sachar
Clockwork Angel - Cassandra Clare
This Book is Not Good for You
The Prince of Mist - Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Before I Go to Sleep - S J Watson
Five Children and It - E Nesbit
This is What Happy Looks Like - Jennifer E Smith
Four Children and It - Jacqueline Wilson
The Kill Order - James Dashner
Where She Went - Gayle Forman
Solitaire - Alice Oseman
Skulduggery Pleasant 9 - Derek Landy
Allegiant - Veronica Roth
I am Malala - Malala Yousafzai
Sophie's World - Jostein Gaardner
Momentum - Saci Lloyd
The Geography of You and Me - Jennifer E Smith
Silence is Goldfish - Annabel Pitcher

What's on your bookshelf to read?

image


I had a mock week of exams for all my a level subjects after the Easter holidays so I thought I'd try and listen to as many albums as I could while revising for them. I did a similar thing back in 2014 for my GCSE mock exams - half term albums - so I decided to try again and see if I could beat my record of 30 albums from before. I listened to the all of these in the car, with headphones or on cd and amazingly I managed to beat last times record by only 2.


  1. PVRIS - White Noise
  2. Arctic Monkeys - AM
  3. Sara Barielles - Kaleidoscope Heart
  4. Radioactive (compilation cd one)
  5. Editors - In this Light and on this Evening
  6. Tonight Alive - What are you so scared of?
  7. Amber Run - 5am
  8. Panic! At the Disco - The Death of a Bachelor
  9. Swedish House Mafia - Until One
  10. Augustines - We Are Augustines
  11. Fall Out Boy - American Beauty/ American Psycho
  12. The Lumineers
  13. Of Monsters and Men - Beneath the Skin
  14. Sara Barielles - Little Voice
  15. Ed Sheeran - +
  16. Twenty One Pilots - Blurryface
  17. CHVRCHES - The Bones of What We Believe
  18. Life On Mars original soundtrack
  19. Years and Years - Communion
  20. Florence and the Machine - Lungs
  21. Example - Won't Go Quietly
  22. Dubstep (compilation)
  23. Friends soundtrack
  24. Willy Mason - Where the Humans Eat
  25. Kaiser Chiefs - Off With Their Heads
  26. Explosions in the Sky - The Wilderness
  27. CHVRCHES - Every Open Eye
  28. Twenty One Pilots - Vessel
  29. The Lumineers - Cleopatra
  30. Lily Allen - It's Not Me, It's You
  31. Paramore - Riot
  32. Walking On Cars - Everything This Way

What albums have you been listening to?


Thinking about writing a personal statement for university.
Getting ready for maths exams in May and June.
Feeling cold all the time.
Considering a gap year before university.
Watching lots and lots of episodes of Glee.
Revising for mock exams just after the Easter holidays.
Buying a lovely big stripy baggy top/dress.
Having the Easter holidays.
Wearing warm clothes.
Listening to lots of cd's (including PVRIS)

How was March for you?

image


One // Pinafore

The first thing on this list I did actually buy already but I've been wanting a pinafore for ages so it goes on the list anyway. It's gorgeous and from the petite section of new look which means it fits me really well because I am pretty small. It's got pockets either side and a large one on the front and I really can't live without pockets because they are so handy. I bought it in blue denim but you can also buy it in black denim. It's smart but practical and kind of different which basically sums up my style.


Two // T-shirts

I've seen some really lovely ones in h + mnew look and urban outfitters (which is sadly too expensive for me). I really like the short sleeved tops that are white with colours around the end of the sleeves and round the neck line. Or stripy tops, I've already got a really nice baggy top with blue and red stripes but another would be lovely too.

Three // Bralette

And before you ask, that's a mix between a bra and a tight crop top, kind of. There are some really cool ones in urban outfitters in really nice colours although I prefer black. I like the ones which have a little bit of lace but are the kind of thing that would be decent enough to wear as a pajama top in the summer, because I think that's a good idea instead of a vest.


Four // Conditioner.

I've been meaning to buy some good quality hair conditioner for ages from boots but still haven't got around to it, so hopefully now it's on this list I will. Aussie has brought out a lot of good hair products and has been recommended to me to use to make sure my hair stays in good condition.

Five // Psychology book.

To be exact it's Richard Gross' book, Psychology: The Science of Mind and Behaviour, seventh edition. I wanted to buy a psychology book which wasn't the exact syllabus but would support me through psychology a level and maybe degree and this one is meant to be the best one out there. It has a basis of all topic covered in psychology and covers lots of the most up to date studies done because it is the newest edition.

Six // Brit Awards 2016 cd.

I like getting these cd's each year because it's a good way to see all the songs that have been popular in that year and reminds you of some older ones and gives you a whole collection to listen to. I also just really love music and a lot of artists I really like are on this years album, so I think it would be a good thing to get.


You're probably all wondering where I've been for this long absence from the blog. Busy, is all I can say. School work suddenly overwhelmed me and I found I had not quite enough spare time or the imagination to continue the blog.

Over the last two months, I have been busy in other ways though.

At the very beginning of the year, new years eve to be exact, I got a second ear lobe piercing which I absolutely love.

I've also recently bought myself a gorgeous pinafore in new look. I've done some more mock exams (managed to get an A and two B's, yay).

We went away on holiday for a few days to Wales to visit my grandma who's been ill and it was nice to catch up with family.

I'm loving the sky at the moment and keep taking pictures of the beautiful sunsets we keep having here.

I've have also seen the Kooks and Gabrielle Aplin at gigs.

I am hoping to post more often on here now that I've come back. I want to post more informative posts and posts about stuff that is interesting to me right now. So you may see more posts on psychology in the future as I hope to apply for a degree in psychology in the autumn and it is my favourite subject. But I also hope to post more on my other passions of music, graphic design and books.

I'm glad to have come back and hope I don't leave again soon.

How has the start of the year been for everyone?

image

Popular Posts