When You Realise You've Fallen in Love | Poem


Your heartbeat escapes its cage
The feeling spreads through your body
A warmth, a calm
Flying high in the sky
Everything is united
All is right with the world

It worked, it worked
You shriek and laugh
Happiness like no other
A dream becomes your reality
The impossible made possible
A fire in your heart

Together
Loneliness forgotten
You only know this truth
Like a runner who's about to cross the line
Everything to come
Will change your world

11:00 22.11.15

I wrote this poem a few years ago when, as it says, I realised I'd properly fallen in love with my then boyfriend and was feeling all of the wonderful effects of being in love for the first time. I was very lucky to be with this boy for over two years and thoroughly enjoyed the whole time and when it came to breaking up with both knew we were beginning to grow apart and start our own lives. I thought I should share this poem almost as a way to celebrate this time.

This definitely isn't a polished poem but it embodies a feeling which was raw and very in the moment so, for now, I don't want to make any changes so that it can be exactly as it was formed. If anyone feels like they can think of any significant improvements then please comment below, feedback is always welcome.

How did it feel when you fell in love for the first time?

Photo by Jacalyn Beales on Unsplash

Comments

Popular Posts